If there was such a dessert it would be this one !!
Recipe as usual from Deb at smittenkitchen
Chocolate Souffle Cupcakes
170 grams bittersweet chocolate, chopped
86 grams unsalted butter
1/4 teaspoon instant coffee powder
3 eggs, separated
6 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- I used Valrhona Guanaja 70% for the first batch but Manjari 64% for the second batch, because I read on a food blog that 70% is not the best for souffles due to lower sugar content.. however, that was not the case in this recipe.. The Guanaja batch was clearly the best one as it had a richer chocolate taste. That being said, I really am a sucker for really dark and bitter chocolate (feasting on a plate of Valrhonas 85% Abinao as we speak.. wiiii)
ooops, sorry, major chocolate distraction.. now back to recipe
- stir chocolate, butter and coffee powder in pan until melted
- beat egg yolkes and 3 tablespoons sugar in bowl until pale and thick
- add chocolate mixture and vanilla
- beat egg whites and 3 tablespoons sugar and salt in other bowl until very white and fluffy
- fold egg whites in chocolate mixture, in 3 additions
adding melted chocolate to egg mixture...
and then carefully folding in the egg whites
- divide batter in small cupcakes, large muffin cups, round/heart shaped cake pan or other
- bake in oven at 160 C degrees (350 F) until... umm done... somewhere between 5-15 min depending on the size of your cupcake/pan
The original recipe also calls for white chocolate mint cream (heat cream and mix with chopped white chocolate, and if you can find it - which I could not despite my desperate search in all of Oslo's gourmet stores - some mint extract for flavoring). Liked it almost better without cream though, but again I am a sucker for chocolate. Next time I think I'll make it with a hazelnut crust and layer it with two different chocolate types - one darker and one lighter.. yum !
My two batches of batter made for:
- cupcakes for the weekly Friday coffee & cake at work + some extras to bring for girls dinner in the evening...
- mother day's cake (half eaten) :))
oh and one very cheesy heart-shaped valentines cake... so cheesy it could in fact not be pictured on this blog ;)